I suppose all this comes natural for me as I come from a long line of hardworking folks on both sides of my family. My mom's parents were in the coal business early in their marriage until my Paw Paw "accepted the call" to preach. Then they were busier than ever with his congregations, planting and overseeing new churches. Not to mention raising six children! My dad's parents were farmers. When my grandfather was a small boy he lived with his family in
One day Paw Paw had been outside working as
usual. When the time came for him to take a break for lunch he was no where to
be found. My grandmother called for him but he didn’t come. She looked out the
kitchen window and at the other end of the meadow she spotted him. He was lying
motionless in the grass! Well in a panic, Mama Rich (that’s what we called her
as our family name is “Rich”) picked up the phone and called my cousin who
lived across the street and was home from work that day. My cousin hopped in
his truck, darted across the highway and sped up the driveway like it was the
Indy 500. He jumped out of the truck and started running to where Paw Paw was
as Mama Rich met him halfway. Just as they both got there, all the “commotion”
stirred Paw Paw from his unconscious state. Thinking he had passed out or had a
stroke or heart attack they both reluctantly edged closer to him. By that time
Paw Paw was alert, he jumped up and said “My God Lee (that was my grandmother’s middle name) I am NOT dead I was just resting!” I think at that point in time Paw Paw was lucky to stay alive as he had scared poor Mama Rich half to death herself. I can relate to my sweet Paw Paw - God rest his soul. (Don't worry it didn't happen for many years after the day of this incident.) Lately if I take a moment to just "sit still" it is "all she wrote" as they say down here in the south. I will be asleep in no time flat. I suppose we have to take a moment to rest where ever and whenever we can. My son has walked through the house this last month and saw me actually sitting or napping on the sofa and has interrupted my sleep to ask if I was okay. I've wanted to shout "don't worry I'm not dead I'm just resting!" Goodness gracious alive - yes alive! This is not the laid back south that I love being this busy. So I think I may just have to find my own grassy spot to lay in the spring sun and listen to the sound of nature - well amidst the neighbor's dog barking and the airplanes flying over! Right now it is a rare quiet moment. I've just stepped out on my back screened in porch and I hear a bird chirping, a whippoorwill calling out and the sound of a gentle breeze in the trees. So maybe I will go lay out in the grass for a bit. If you don't hear from me again real soon, please don't worry "I'm not dead, I'm just resting!"
Bye Bye Ya'll!
"Southern Star"

Thanks for the chuckles Starla. You make my heart smile. ☺
ReplyDeleteThank you so much lady! :) I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and read my stories. Glad you are smiling. That makes MY heart smile :)
DeleteHey Starla, a Lady is allowed to rest in peace.. is not "restin in peace". As some would say, geez, get a life.. I am resting.. Fun to read & think about at the same time.. thanks..
ReplyDeleteHey Frank.... I am slowing down for sure! Of course writing away but that is doing what I LOVE!!!! :) Yes just resting.... not "resting in peace" LOL You do the same. I think you push pretty hard too don't you? Just that whole need to feel productive. A blessing and a curse sometimes :) Enjoy your weekend!!!
DeleteLove this! My Paw Paw never talked about his time in World War I. He was in the trenches. I can only imagine.
ReplyDeleteI love your warm, Southern voice and easy storytelling style. Thank you for being you!
Thanks so much Lynn! My Paw Paw relived his experience over and over with us. He had lied about his age and was only about 16 when he went in so I guess it was a very impressionable time for him. I am so glad you like my "Southern" voice lol I love to share with others. Thank you also for being YOU! You are awesome :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Michal! I was born 2 months premature so I was a bit slow in walking but I began to talk in full sentences very early, long before I could walk. I suppose I was just a born storyteller! :)
ReplyDelete