It was just a box – a simple velvet
lined box. It had been pulled in and out
of Paw Paw’s dresser drawer so many times that it was a bit scuffed and
tattered – much like him and every other person who served along side of
him. What was in that little box? It was Paw Paw’s greatest treasure, his most
vivid memory and symbol of something larger than what the young boy those many
years ago could comprehend, and what the elderly gentlemen proudly displaying
it could adequately express. However, the
look in his eyes each time he held that box in his calloused wrinkled hand,
told the story magnificently. Every time
we went to visit my grandparents, we knew that at any given moment, Paw Paw
would retreat into a world of memories, walk into the bedroom, open a dresser
drawer and come back with his treasure – Paw Paw’s Purple Heart.
All you had to do was take a moment to sit
still in his lap or sit at his feet and before long, the stories would roll off
his tongue, then the light would begin to sparkle in his eyes as he would say “let me show you something.” Off he would go down the hall, and then in a
flash, be back beaming from ear to ear with that velvet lined box. Slowly, he would open the box and release the
sound of gunfire, the dampness of trenches and the excitement and fear on the
face of a mere child who found himself across a huge ocean listening to the
chatter of languages he was never even able to read. Paw Paw had quit school in the 3rd grade due to a family
tragedy that took both his parents, so he was not even able to read anything in
English nonetheless a foreign language. One line he learned overseas seemed forever
stuck in his brain - “comme ci comme ça.” We knew each time we spent a few moments with Paw Paw, that we needed to
ask him how he was doing. This gave him
that rare opportunity to respond in a foreign language… “just so-so” he would say in French with his own delightful
mountain man dialect.
Can you imagine what it felt like to be an orphan of sorts shipped across
the ocean and coming face to face with “death?”
Like so many young boys during this time, Paw Paw also lied about his
age to have the chance to do something significant with his life and for his
country. At the ripe old age of sixteen,
Paw Paw became a “man” in World War I.
The truth be told, from that time until now, there have been scores of
boys who left home as a son, a brother, a cousin, a neighbor, a classmate or
playmate yet when it was time to return, in their place a man walked down that
country road home, or that city sidewalk through town. Some of them never got to walk that road home. Some of them rolled their way, while others
were sent back in another velvet lined box and carried “home” by the
angels.
Today, as I think of Paw Paw’s Purple Heart, I think of the hearts of the
scores of young men and now women who give everything they have to offer with
no expectation of anything in return, simply because of the sound of “freedom’s
song” ringing in their ears. I wish I
could sit with each of them like we did Paw Paw through the years and hear
their story, see their symbol of freedom, experience the fear and excitement
and feel the sense of pride and honor that radiates from the light in each of
their eyes. Since I can’t sit with each
of them, I will do what I can to “pay forward” words of hope and encouragement,
determination and perseverance - fanning the flame of freedom. May we never allow the song of freedom fade
from our ears or the story of liberty slip from our hearts and souls. I, for one, do not want their sacrifices to
be in vain. I refuse to bow down to
tyranny or give in to selfish oppressors who want to smother our pride and
strip away our dignity one liberty at a time.
Thank you, Veterans for reminding us each day what it means to be free
and what it takes to stay free. God
Bless America!!!!!
Editor's Note: I want to also express my gratitude to Dad who served in the Air Force. I am forever grateful for him, for all the others in our family who have proudly served our country, and to Paw Paw. What an honor to be the recipient of freedom!
Paw Paw Rich

I feel insatiability. You wrote so beautifully about Paw Paw stories, that I want to hear some of them.
ReplyDelete"One liberty at a time" - it's very true Starla. In fact I want to write a short article about it soon. I'll keep you informed.
Thank you Michal. My grandfather was a most amazing man. He was not "educated" by the world's standards but was one of the wisest men I know. Even after losing his parents at an early age and being shipped off far away from his home to another state, he managed to impact his world early on as you can see from this story. He ran a farm, worked a full-time job and raised five children. He was well- respected by his community and church and left a legacy that people still talk about. I look forward to reading your article and am honored that something in my post sparked and inspired a new thought for you! Blessings my friend...
ReplyDeleteHow lovely this is, Starla! So glad I decided to come by and visit, spend a few minutes ready, and let the profound message sink in.
ReplyDeleteLove!
Lynn thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to stop by and visit the page today and am so glad my story of my sweet Paw Paw touched you. He was a very special man. I miss him so much. I hope our generation can somehow get the message that we should never take our freedom and liberties for granted. They were and continue to be bought and paid for at a very high price.
ReplyDelete