One thing I do know is that cutting
deeper would not have been fun! It
would, however, have been necessary. The
metaphor this experience offers me is uncanny as I continue to experience some “pains”
that can’t be seen with the natural eye.
They are however, uncomfortable.
When I healed from my skin cancer surgery, I thought something was
terribly wrong still because that lump of scar tissue was not reducing in size
and was still so sore. Finally, one day
I asked my physical therapist during a deep heat massage if there was anything
that could be done concerning that unsightly scar and the pain it continued to
produce. She said the more I massaged
that spot, the more it would work out the soreness and pain and then it would
also reduce in size and consistency. It
just needed some time and TLC! Hmmmm… Time
and TLC…
About fifteen years ago my body
began to “shut down,” literally. I won’t
go into details as to all that I experienced, but suffice it to say, my
physical condition was such that it was more than apparent that the pain and
fatigue I was experiencing was much more than a “superficial” condition. It took scores of tests, months of research
by my determined physician, and consultations with specialists to get to the
bottom of things. By the time he
discovered the root cause, my body had suffered irreparable damage that would
prove to cause soreness and pain on a daily basis. I was left with neuropathy, Fibromyalgia,
degenerative disk disease and a plethora of conditions that a woman my age
should have never even heard of, let alone deal with.
As I ride the roller coast that
comes with flare ups from all of these conditions, I am reminded of both the
words of caution from my dermatologist and words of encouragement from my physical
therapist concerning that little patch of scar tissue on my shoulder. I am a firm believer that even in the worst
of physical conditions, that there is a root cause far beyond what we can see –
and often its origin isn’t necessarily physical. By that I mean, emotional triggers, mental
stresses and spiritual attitudes can totally debilitate and destroy us until we
are so weak physically that daily tasks become a chore. With this knowledge or opinion, I believe
that we have to “cut as deep” as possible to bring to light those things that
suck the energy and life out of us.
Sometimes, even after situations – many years even, we still have a
nasty patch of scar tissue that hurts terribly, especially when touched or
rubbed the wrong way! Like that scar
tissue on my shoulder though, I am finding that the emotional scar tissue that
produces the physical pain, needs to be massaged and worked out. It needs time. I need to exhibit love and patience with
myself and administer TLC on a daily basis as well as allow others to
administer it when they so freely offer it.
My favorite book, the Bible says that a “merry heart does good like a medicine.” I recognize this truth more than ever. When my life is filled with stress, when I
cover up those deep issues, when I am afraid or filled with doubt or even when
I am healing from a hurt of some kind, my body lets me know. Boy does it ever! I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it
all go away. I wish I had never had the
hurt or the illness or anything in between; but I have, and I am reminded that “time
heals all wounds” and “love covers all wrongs.”
So tonight, I think after I share these words with you, I am going to
take some time to massage those sore places, to work out the rough patches and
to administer some much needed TLC! If
you are hurting, I hope you will do the same.
Your health depends on it!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking time to read today's blog. I welcome your comments and feedback. Hearing from you encourages me! Have a blessed day and remember you are loved! NEVER GIVE UP....