Today I've had a writer’s day. For you “non
writers” that is a day when beauty goes
out the window, housework is put on the back burner, and eating healthy seems a
bit lower on the noble list of priorities.
The passion in you drives you with a focus that is all but impossible to
break. You are like a laser – or like a
race horse with blinders on – nothing else matters than letting those ideas
give birth to words on a page that are meant to take wings and fly. If any one of you were to show up at my door,
honestly I might not answer. Not because I don’t want you to break my
concentration but the “southern belle” in me wouldn't dare allow you to see me
in such a “disheveled” state! Now I
don’t have to be “dressed to the nines” by any means. If I had shorts and tee on with my hair in a
pony tail it would be fine as long as I had my “beautiful face” on and some
sweet smelling perfume.
It’s hard to be seen in our “natural
state” isn’t it? Not just in the way we
look, what we wear, but sometimes in our thoughts, our attitudes, or
words. Like most other writers, I find
it imperative to be transparent with my thoughts so that my words ring of
authenticity, but even still it is a challenge.
We aren’t any different than anyone else. Sometimes we are afraid to face some of our
own emotions or thoughts, so we fight not to gauge our words when sharing some
of the deepest expressions of the heart.
But the thing is, if we can’t express those things, then the readers
certainly won’t gain much from what we write other than superficial
entertainment. But I stray from my
point. The point is each of us has a
need to feel beautiful/handsome, to be perceived as beautiful/handsome inside and out. So why is it on days such as my writer’s day,
or a day when we are sad or angry or hurt or irritable we feel less than
beautiful/handsome? Is it because of others’
perception or our own?
I have a two fold answer to that in
the form of a couple of stories. First I
want you to look at the caption picture in today’s blog. That is my cousin Tiffany. She is six months pregnant and was out
working in her yard with her sweet husband Trent. She felt confident to show everyone her less
than perfect self. Why? Because she is happy with her life, with whom
she is and even more she has a man that adores her and loves her even on
“digging in the dirt” days. Tiffany and
I have had some similar life experiences so I totally understand her lovely,
peaceful, happy and beautiful heart and outlook. She is adorable!
Several years ago I faced a difficult
time of illness. During that time some
nerves along the right side of my body were affected. Among other things, my right eye began to
cross and over a period of a couple of years was severely crossed. Prior to that time, I had worked long and
hard to build my self-esteem and finally felt “beautiful” inside and out. But that one physical flaw caused me to face
internal demons all over again. They were self esteem demons that had haunted
me through the years due to a time of abuse in my marriage years prior. It’s funny because those close to me and even
people I didn't really know seemed to think I was beautiful. I didn't have problems dating or relating to people
in business or even social environments; but every once in awhile I would look
in the mirror and be less than happy with the woman I saw. When I had pictures
taken of myself I would cover that right eye that had crossed. It made me feel safe and happy. I was covering a “flaw” that cut at me like a
knife. When I was in a store or in
public somewhere I never could look people in the eye. Last November, I had the opportunity to get
surgery on that eye that not only corrected the issue but actually improved my
vision greatly. I had lost much of that
vision as a child with a childhood injury.
The day of the surgery a close male friend of mine asked if he could be
the one to take me to the hospital. I
wanted him there. I needed him
close. Over the years he had told me how
beautiful I was, how amazing I was.
Still, on the day of the surgery I felt so insecure, so vulnerable. I wasn't allowed to wear any makeup that day
and he would see me “warts and all” as they say! So when he picked me up I let him in but
would not even look him in the eye. As
soon as we got to the front door I put on sunglasses. Even as we sat in the hospital waiting, I
kept the glasses on part time. When I
was taken back and put in a hospital bed, he came back and kissed me on the
cheek and told me everything would be okay.
If I thought I had looked less than perfect
before the surgery, after the surgery trumped that by a long shot. I had this blood red eye that looked like
Frankenstein’s sister! Days and weeks
passed however and my eye healed. It was
straight! As I began to truly look at
myself in the mirror I also began to “see” myself. I faced some internal things that had been
tucked so far down in my heart and soul that it took an emotional crow bar to
pry them loose. But little by little,
day by day I began to give myself genuine love and acceptance. One day I was talking to my friend. He loves to compliment me on my beauty. He had seen a picture of me in my Sunday
finest. He said “you have that beautiful thing going on.” But then he clarified and said “ I've seen you all dolled up on Sunday,
fixed up for a date, hanging out at home, hair all tousled and a mess or
slicked back in a ponytail, makeup worn off at the end of a day and even no
makeup the day of your surgery and in every case you had that beautiful thing
going on.” He was right. He had seen
me in all those states, but had also seen me in all of my emotional states as
well – happy, sad, fearful, peaceful, loving, callous, angry, joyful, laughing,
crying… As we were talking, I was actually standing in the bathroom and looking
at myself in the mirror. You know, for
the first time truly and completely I agreed with him. Not because of what I saw, but what I felt
and knew. I had found the capacity to
both love and be loved; to give acceptance knowing that I was accepted. I realized more than ever that beauty was more
than a painted on smile; it was a glow from deep in my heart. Yes he was right I did have “that beautiful
thing” going on! So do you. Take some time today to look in the mirror!
Thank you for opening me up to your 'inner demons' because they are part & parcel of being a woman, I believe. Your story is my story just change around the details & you have me and every other Woman who could not or would not see her own beauty. It's also true that no-matter how many people tell us we are beautiful not until we believe it from the inside-out will will stop cringing at the idea of being beautiful & embracing our beauty-fully.
ReplyDeleteYou told your story with such raw emotion & I appreciate you for that because you will inspire other Women to take a second look at themselves in the mirror & maybe, just maybe they will allow their love to shine through their being in the form of beauty.
I think you will inspire those Women Starla...you are good at that;) xo
Michelle as a writer you understand that opening up the deepest parts of ourselves is both the most difficult and the most necessary thing we can and must do. Without that transparency we really do our readers a disservice. Every woman faces these inner demons of doubt and insecurity and a deep need to be loved. What we come to realize is that the acceptance must first begin in our own hearts. This is the only way that beauty will shine for it is the only beauty that lasts! Thank you for encouraging me. You give me so much courage and strength to speak from my heart!
DeleteStarla, you are truly wonderful. I am proud to count you as a friend. Thank you for the way you share yourself, for your openness.
ReplyDeleteYou are so welcome Dailah! Your encouragement and friendship helps me find the freedom to open up to share. I have always hoped that by choosing to be transparent it would bring something positive to those who read the posts. Thank you so much for your support!!!
DeleteStarla, I don't think this is just a woman thing. Speaking as a man, I also face the same demons and I know many other men do too.
ReplyDeleteWhat I think you are meaning is that in general women are much more able than men to talk about issues like this amongst themselves.
I am becoming very aware from reading comments in the Positive World Achievers that it has become a woman's group and I don't feel that I as a man belong to it in the same way.
There was a recent study done that showed men were far more able to read dogs' emotional signals than women's.
So, how do you get a man to open up? I guess a good start would be to share a dog with him!
Kenneth this post certainly was not intended to be "gender specific". I suppose I should've used "beautiful and handsome" in my description. I am totally aware that we all feel a bit lost sometimes when we look in the mirror of our lives. This is exactly what I am writing about in my book. We all are on a journey to find that beautiful, handsome amazing boy or girl deep within in an attempt to tap into total love and acceptance first of ourselves and then of others. I am sorry you feel the PWA is geared more towards women. I agree with you that men are more hesitant to talk of such issues among themselves. I can assure you that Encouragement Enterprises desires to be a voice of hope and love for everyone - man, woman, boy, girl, young and old! thank you for reading the post today and for your valuable comments. Your support means so much!
ReplyDeleteHey Starla, a great piece of writing. I read it a couple of days ago, & came back to read it again today. I see it in the light of "self-image", & you have touched on it perfectly. If we are not right within our selves, every word as a compliment just bounces off because of that bad self image. That is my challenge, as well, to get in touch with my authentic self again. I know when it comes, it is total peace.. oh, I guess I have learned a "Southern" thing or 2 from you ... Roll Tide...
ReplyDeleteFrank thank you so much for your positive feedback. It seems this particular post resonated with quite a few people. We all struggle with that "man/woman in the mirror" but it isn't until we learn to accept and love ourselves that we have the capacity to truly embrace the way others feel, see, perceive us. I have found peace through my journey of self discovery. That is what my book is about. I can't wait to have the final touches complete to share it with everyone. I decided to title it "Journey Within My Heart". I do believe you are on your way and will find "home" again in your heart! I am also glad that you have embraced the "Southern" way of life! :) Roll Tide!!!!
Delete