Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star


  “Twinkle twinkle little star how I wonder what you are….”  You can imagine with my name that I heard that nursery rhyme most of my life!  And I have to confess I asked myself that question on many occasions…. “What are you?”  “Who are you?”  I didn’t always have the answer – at least not as long as I stood in the bright light of another or in the light of day when all was well.  But then the time came in my life when it was very dark.   The light of day was gone and the glow of others had long moved on and I felt alone in the dark.  It was then though that I knew.  I knew what I was…. I was a star because in the dark, a light was shining and you know where it was coming from?  ME!  A spark of determination ignited in me and lit up my night sky!  I didn’t have to wonder where I was because God’s light in me began to shine on my dark path.  And I didn’t have to wonder what I was, I knew – I was a star!!!!!  AND SO ARE YOU!  A star doesn’t really know it is a star when the Daystar is shining but oh goodness - in the night how it shines and how it leads the way!!!!  The second verse to that little nursery rhyme says this:

“When the blazing sun is gone,
When there's nothing he shines upon,
Then YOU show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, through the night.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!”

Sometimes when it is VERY VERY dark and you don’t have a clue and can’t see one step in front of you, a star will shine and give just a little light for the next step.  Even though it seems like a tiny speck in the sky, when placed against that black canvas of night it can be seen for miles around!  The thought of that boggles my mind and humbles me in a way I cannot fully explain.  And we know what happens when that lone star is combined with all the stars in the heavens.  It is a most magnificent display of God’s handiwork totally dispelling the darkness! I think that is what has begun in OUR transformation.  An inner flame has ignited a passion, a dream, a desire, a longing, a determination and made clear the next step.  And with that next step, another star and then another has appeared in OUR night sky.  And now, not only is the sky lit up but OUR worlds are illuminated by each others glow.  Thank you to my friend Kwan for reminding me today that “I am a star” and thank you Craig for reminding us that we can, we should and we WILL reach for the stars!